Kyoto, Japan (PRWEB UK) 17 March 2015
Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, one of Japan’s top private academic and research institutes, announces the opening of its Osaka-Ibaraki Campus in April 2015. The RU Osaka-Ibaraki Campus will be a ‘Gateway of Asia’ for academic excellence and innovative research.
Ritsumeikan University (RU), Kyoto, announces the opening of its Osaka-Ibaraki Campus in April 2015. The Campus was designed to be a hub in Asia for education and research in a unique campus-environment specially designed to promote interaction between students, academic staff, entrepreneurs and industrialists, and residents of Ibaraki and surrounding areas.
The Campus is 99,000 square meters and in April 2015 will be home to approximately 6000 students. In 2015 undergraduates will be able to take courses at the College of Business Administration and College of Policy Science and in 2016 courses will be offered at the College of Psychology.
The graduate schools are Graduate School of Business Administration, Graduate School of Policy Science, Graduate School of Technology Management, and Graduate School of Management.
The Ritsumeikan University Osaka-Ibaraki Campus is located in close proximity to major railway stations in the Kansai region of Japan being about 20 minutes from Kyoto, 10 minutes from Osaka, and 60 minutes from Nara.
RU statistics for research funding
1. RU was ranked 3rd for the amount of research funding (1.1 billion Yen) from Grants in Aid for Scientific Research from MEXT in 2014 for private universities.
2. In the same year, RU was ranked 4th in the actual number of grants selected (490) for Grants in Aid for Scientific Research.
3. Over the past five years, RU was 1st in the number of grants selected in the disciplines of Human Geography, Business Management, and Sociology.
4. RU was number one amongst private universities for commissioned research (2.3 billion Yen and 235 commissions) from private industries in 2013.
5. In October 2013 RU was the only private university to be selected out of 190 applications for two trial research bases of the prestigious MEXT ‘Center for Innovation Program (COI STREAM). Although the funding of the trial research base, ‘Developing a Regional Model for “Slow and Local” Innovation in Food and Agricultural Industries” will come to an end at the end of March but an upgraded version of the trial base “Health Innovation to Promote Exercise in Life” (the new name of the project: “Bright Future for All Ages with Health Innovation by Daily Exercise”) will be an on-going project. The funding for the latter base is currently at 19,500,000 Yen.
Unique features of the Ritsumeikan University Osaka-Ibaraki Campus
1. The design of the campus and approaches to education and research are based on the three concepts of ‘Gateway to Asia’, ‘Urban Co-Creation’, and ‘Regional and Social Collaboration’. The Campus will act as a hub in Asia for international networking and collaborative research.
2. The Campus will house the ‘Ritsumeikan Global Asia Research Organization’ and ‘Ritsumeikan Asia Japan Research Institute’ as part of RU’s plans to establish the Osaka-Ibaraki Campus as a center for RU to conduct research in Asia.
3. Courses such as the “Asia China Business Program” offered by the College of Business Administration will focus on a deeper understanding of issues in management, commerce, and policy making in Asia.
4. For the first time in Japan, the ‘Ibaraki Chamber of Commerce and Industry’ is located inside the RU Osaka-Ibaraki Campus.
5. The whole of the Campus is one mammoth learning space with the ‘Commons’ providing not only private study rooms but also multi-functional open space along the 200m by 18 m concourse, accessible to students, staff, affiliated industrial partners, and members of the local community. .
6. A library with 800,000 books and seats for 1100 people, and a ‘garden library’ on the roof with a lawn and tables.
7. The lecture rooms have glass walls for ‘visible teaching’ and the chairs and tables can be re-arranged to suit the needs of teachers and students.
8. A 1000 seat concert hall for ceremonies and musical events that is open to the members of the local community.
9. The ‘Camping Kitchen’ restaurant with international food for lunch between studies and a special a la carte menu for dinner.
YouTube video of Ritsumeikan University Osaka-Ibaraki Campus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0F250KKTpk&feature=player_embedded
YouTube video of Tabata Protocol
Enquires about enrollment on courses, research, industrial collaboration, and careers contact:
Kevin Hsien (Mr.)
Ritsumeikan University, Office of Public Relations
Postal Address: 1 Nishinokyo-Suzaku-cho, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto 604-8520 JAPAN
About Ritsumeikan University
Ritsumeikan University is one of Japan’s foremost private academic institutes for education and research with roots going back to Prince Saionji’s private academy of the same name, established in 1869. It was officially founded in 1900 by his protege, Kojuro Nakagawa, as the Kyoto Hosei Gakko (Kyoto School of Law and Politics), later to take on the name “Ritsumeikan”. The name is derived from a passage in the Jinxin chapter of the Discourses of Mencius, and means “a place to establish one’s destiny through cultivating one’s mind.”
Ritsumeikan has become an integrated academy with a rich culture of individuality and international awareness accommodating a total of 49,000 students. The current Ritsumeikan Academy has campuses in Kyoto, Shiga, Hokkaido, and Oita and encompasses two universities, four high schools, four junior high schools, and one primary school. Ritsumeikan fosters the learning and development of individual talents in order to nurture just and ethical global citizens. Three out of the four Ritsumeikan high schools have been designated by MEXT as Super Science High Schools (SSH). Ritsumeikan High School and Ritsumeikan Uji High School have been selected by MEXT for the Super-Global School Program (SGH). Ritsumeikan Uji High School has been certified as an International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP) school. Ritsumeikan Moriyama High School and Junior High School has been selected by MEXT as the Super Shokuiku (dietary education) School (SSS).
In 2014, both Ritsumeikan University and Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University were selected as the designated institutions for the Top Global University Project by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT). This project is established to support Japanese universities aiming to elevate comprehensive internationalization, to collaborate with preeminent universities overseas and to reform the universities toward a globalized environment. Both Ritsumeikan University and Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University were selected as Leading-Global type (Type B) where both universities look to focus on the promotion of internationalization.
For more information, please visit
Osaka-Ibaraki Campus (Ibaraki, Osaka)
The Osaka-Ibaraki Campus is expected to facilitate collaboration with industry and government institutions, promote the Ritsumeikan Academy’s activities on the frontline of social collaboration and is fully equipped with facilities which can provide an exchange space for general use. The three main concepts are “Asia’s Gateway”, “Urban Co-Creation” and “Regional Cooperation”.
Find More Exercise Program Press Releases